Supply Base Lead
Auto req ID: 4525BR
Title: Supply Base Lead
Job Function: Materials Management
State and City: Wisconsin, Wauwatosa
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
Shift: Shift 1
At Harley-Davidson Motor Company we do much more than just build motorcycles; we fulfill dreams of personal freedom. We are customer led in all we do, and we believe and invest in our people and our communities. Harley-Davidson believes that its people are the only real long-term competitive advantage and their energy and commitment is what has made us successful since 1903.
This position will responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with suppliers appropriate to the needs of the enterprise. Activities to include identifying Suppliers for the supply base including evaluating, selecting and managing the supply base. This position will be responsible for the development and implementation of commodity strategies.
- Position will manage and validate Supplier selection for new product development projects via the NPIP or CPPDM process. Will also lend support on technical issues to product development teams.
- Responsible for supporting product development activity for systems and components ranging from concept and process selection, cost modeling, tooling and process development project management, through process and product verification, validation, and product launch. In addition, this role is accountable for providing support on current product including risk mitigation, commercial cost, etc.
- Position will require managing complex projects that can last for extended periods of time (up to one year or more). To accomplish this, a high degree of internal interface is required with engineering and operations purchasing personnel. This position will have managerial responsibility for an operating budget (headcount and expense) and direct reports with an emphasis on employee development.
- In addition, this role will require leading through influence managing the interface managing the interface between Operations and Development Purchasing.
- This position is also responsible for ensuring appropriate resource allocation to achieve key quality, cost, and timing (QCT) strategies.
- The position requires a bachelors’ degree in engineering, materials management, supply chain management, business administration, or equivalent. MS Eng., MBA, CPM and /or CPIM certification are preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of demonstrated performance in technical competencies of procurement, engineering, finance, and/or operations are required
- A global view of industry competency, capabilities, legal implications, technical direction, specific process familiarity, understanding of process and design related cost drivers, and excellent interpersonal skills are balanced enablers to achieve in this position.
- The candidate must have strong knowledge and experience in the production or procurement of components and subsystems, preferably within an automotive, motorcycle or similar manufacturing environment.
- The candidate must have a thorough understanding or experience in implementing strategic purchasing relationships with suppliers.
- Strong, demonstrated project management and communication skills are required.
- It is highly desirable for the person filling this position to have motorcycle riding experience and knowledge in the area of Harley-Davidson and Buell motorcycles and accessories.
- The candidate must have strong knowledge of supply chain management, including contributing to new product launches.
- The candidate must have strong knowledge of operations techniques including but not limited to statistical operator control (SOC), just-in-time (JIT) manufacturing, cost management tools, benchmarking, and other quality and continuous improvement tools.
- Additionally, the candidate should have a good working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Requires demonstrated communication skills, clear articulate speech, good listening skills and the ability to generate clear, concise written documentation.
- Must be capable of directing external support staff and outside agencies.
- The ability to influence through both direct and indirect authority is essential.
- Position will require up to 25% travel for supplier visits, conferences etc.
At Harley-Davidson it is not just what degree you have or what you know you must also exhibit and demonstrate our valued behaviors in everything that you do:
- Be accountable
- Model Integrity
- Value Individuality and Diversity
- Inspire Teamwork
- Encourage Creativity
Direct Reports: Yes
Travel: Required 10-25%