- WI |
- Jobs |
- Staff Technical Engineer- Paint & Graphics
Staff Technical Engineer- Paint & Graphics
Auto req ID: 4163BR
Title: Staff Technical Engineer- Paint & Graphics
Job Function: Engineering
State and City: Wisconsin, Wauwatosa
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
Shift: Shift 1
At Harley-Davidson Motor Company we do much more than just build motorcycles; we fulfill dreams of personal freedom. We are customer led in all we do, and we believe and invest in our people and our communities. Harley-Davidson believes that its people are the only real long-term competitive advantage and their energy and commitment is what has made us successful since 1903.
The Technical Staff Engineer for Paint and Graphics is a full-time position reporting to the Materials Engineering Manager at the Product Development Center in Wauwatosa, WI. This individual is expected to provide the strategy, plans, and technical depth for paint and graphic material development to ensure the delivery of world class Harley-Davidson motorcycles. This work must align with cross-functional stakeholders and strategies within product development. The role must collaborate with motorcycle project teams, manufacturing, materials management, styling, system/component technical experts, product planning, and others to develop innovative solutions for all future LCP projects.
The Paint and Graphics Engineer role is responsible for the following:
- Deliver technically correct and high quality paint and graphic finishes across the H-D product portfolio through world class materials engineering and materials processing expertise in the areas of pretreatment, paint formulation, paint application, graphics product manufacture, and graphics application.
- Develop and deliver system strategies and innovation roadmaps along with the projects that support these. Create and manage a “virtual shelf” of proven technologies that support the long-range strategies and ensure world class product quality, cost, and execution. Support the Parts & Accessories business similarly.
- Develop and lead best practices, standardized processes, and continuous improvement via knowledge capture, collaboration with project teams, ownership of standards and specifications for materials performance and testing, benchmarking, DFMEA and DVP&R templates, and critical path planning templates.
- Lead the engagement with new product, current product, and Parts & Accessories projects via expert consulting, design reviews, drawing approvals, etc. to ensure world class designs that meet all quality, cost, and timing requirements.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional stakeholders (product planning, styling, project engineering, materials management, manufacturing, finance, part and accessories) to drive and deliver products that extend H-D’s leadership in paint, graphics, and other finishes.
- Provide technical support to the materials procurement organization with prospecting supplier technology and supplier selection that enables paint and graphic leadership into the future.
Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry (Organic or Polymer Chemistry emphasis preferred), Chemical Engineering, or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
Position requires eight (8) or more years of relevant experience related to descriptions below. The majority of this experience is preferred to have come from similar industry paint color development and automated, high volume manufacturing processes that deliver highly cosmetic paint finishes.
Paint and Graphics (specification, construction, chemistry)
- Expert understanding of materials, chemistry, and the effect of processing on material properties and performance. Expert understanding of pre-treatments and washing.
- Deep technical understanding of defect structure cause and effect on material properties. Can troubleshoot finishes defects using analytical tools and equipment.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and techniques and the impact on material selection.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and communication skills across and up/down the organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of the analytical tools used for organic finishes.
- Has outside technical network contacts recognized as experts in the field.
- Has demonstrated ability to author clear and concise technical standards and guidelines.
- Is aware of worldwide industry cost drivers, competencies, and development trends.
Polymer and Adhesive (specification, chemistry, properties)
- Has a basic understanding of the properties and application of common polymer and adhesive systems and common compound additives.
- Has a basic knowledge of the processing and chemistry of polymers.
- Has a basic understanding on the analytical tools for polymers and adhesives.
Materials Analysis (lab techniques and interpretation)
- Demonstrates understanding of laboratory test techniques, tools, materials evaluation, and analysis.
- Possesses thorough understanding of procedures and equipment for environmental performance testing of finishes
- Proficient in the use hardness testing equipment, EDS, and scanning electron microscope. Ability to prepare samples for defect analysis.
- Creates effective and professional documentation of results and collaboratively supported conclusions.
- Able to delegate testing tasks to support personnel.
At Harley-Davidson it is not just what degree you have or what you know you must also exhibit and demonstrate our valued behaviors in everything that you do:
- Be accountable
- Model Integrity
- Value Individuality and Diversity
- Inspire Teamwork
- Encourage Creativity
Direct Reports: No
Travel: Required 0-10%