- WI |
- Jobs |
- Sr. Design Engineer - Electro-Mechanical
Sr. Design Engineer - Electro-Mechanical
Auto req ID: 4972BR
Title: Sr. Design Engineer - Electro-Mechanical
Job Function: Engineering
State and City: Wisconsin, Wauwatosa
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
Shift: Shift 1
At Harley-Davidson Motor Company we do much more than just build motorcycles; we fulfill dreams of personal freedom. We are customer led in all we do, and we believe and invest in our people and our communities. Harley-Davidson believes that its people are the only real long-term competitive advantage and their energy and commitment is what has made us successful since 1903.
This Engineering position will be held accountable for delivering the following:
• Develop and direct electrical and mechanical component design and modification activities of suppliers.
• Evaluate and report performance of electrical and mechanical components subjectively and objectively.
• Resolve technical issues for performance and integration of electrical and mechanical components.
• Manage development and risk through FMEA and DVP&R.
• Review and approve supplier PPAP and control plans.
• Lead technical relationship with component suppliers in Execution phase. Support pre-development integration activities for electrical and mechanical components.
• Develop and maintain program specific requirements documentation both within H-D and between H-D and supplier.
• Verify system performance to Harley-Davidson standards, approve supplier validation, and work with test and verification entities to ensure electrical and mechanical components meet or exceed targets.
• Execute programs and deliverables utilizing Product Development Methodology.
• Collaborate with Systems Group for improvement of design standards and guidelines.
Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related technical field. Master’s Degree preferred.
Position requires a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience.
Design for Assembly (DFA)
• Experienced in designing parts for assembly. Regularly develops designs that are easy and efficient to assemble correctly, difficult to assemble incorrectly, and accommodate the needs of the assembly operator and specific assembly line or station. Track record of results that meet or exceed project objectives for ease of assembly, EJMS score, quality, cost, complexity and project timing.
Design for manufacturing processes
• Significant experience designing for many of the manufacturing processes and materials used at H-D (such as HPDC, permanent-mold, investment, shell, sand and other casting processes, forgings, injection molding, sheet metal stamping, forming and deep-drawing, extrusion, machining, plating, coating, painting, etc.). Knowledgeable about the specific needs of each process and how to optimize designs and drawings to minimize cost and manufacturing difficulty.
• Demonstrates an advanced understanding of engineering calculations and regularly applies them to design problems and references calculations in reports and analysis guides. Can quickly recall and demonstrate engineering calculations during design reviews to provide decision ready information. Develops equation-based spreadsheets, programs, or scripts that are considered best practice for the design and analysis community.
• Very confident and efficient in creating difficult parts, assemblies and drawings, leveraging most of the following skills: ISDX and other surfacing tools, complex drafted features, complex filleting, sheet metal, simplified reps, mechanism models, multi-sheet drawings. Track record of producing designs and drawings that are ready for manufacturing and have resulted in successful product launches.
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
• Has executed clean sheet drawing datum structures and dimensioning schemes. Has conducted multiple part/system tolerance stacks using both straight and RSS stack up methods. Understands general inspection methods and how GD&T callouts can communicate functionality, feature importance and/or drive cost.
Analysis of test results to provide decision ready information
• Has developed tools to efficiently reduce & summarize test data in charts, plots, and diagrams for purposes of design analysis. Has analyzed test data in both time and frequency domain. Regularly provides error bounds, statistical analysis, and/or annotation to test results.
System and Vehicle tolerance analysis
• Basic familiarity with primary implications of tolerances on designs associated with various processes. Has shown examples of creating or modifying designs with an understanding of the tolerances used in multiple part assemblies.
• Understands project management tools and principles (in topics such as requirements, scheduling, risk and issues, budget, and metrics) through training and experience. Efficiently executes prescribed project management processes with minimal coaching.
DFMEA & DVP&R
• Has led/facilitated DFMEA/DVP&R design reviews. Capable of helping others identify and resolve gaps in completeness and accuracy & how to engage appropriate stakeholders for DFMEA input.
Engineering authorizations, changes and PVRs
• Can do simple EAN, ECN, and PVRs with occasional support from experienced / accomplished team members.
At Harley-Davidson it is not just what degree you have or what you know you must also exhibit and demonstrate our valued behaviors in everything that you do:
• Be accountable
• Model Integrity
• Value Individuality and Diversity
• Inspire Teamwork
• Encourage Creativity
Direct Reports: No
Travel Required: 0-10%