- WI |
- Jobs |
- Product Development Quality Engineer
Product Development Quality Engineer
Auto req ID: 4430BR
Title: Product Development Quality Engineer
Job Function: Materials Management
State and City: Wisconsin, Wauwatosa
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
Shift: Shift 1
At Harley-Davidson Motor Company we do much more than just build motorcycles; we fulfill dreams of personal freedom. We are customer led in all we do, and we believe and invest in our people and our communities. Harley-Davidson believes that its people are the only real long-term competitive advantage and their energy and commitment is what has made us successful since 1903.
We are currently looking for a Product Development Supplier Quality Staff Engineer. This position resides at our Product Development Center in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. The Product Development Supplier Quality Staff Engineer will work closely with product development engineering and developmental purchasing to assure proper APQP methodology, document and process development, within a new product development environment. The position will also be responsible for assuring compliance to product requirements and process documentation, demonstrating launch readiness through on-site supplier process assessments/audits. This position will develop action plans and monitor progress of supplier process development activities and Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) deliverables while also coaching suppliers and internal stakeholders on the utilization of best practice manufacturing techniques.
- Ability to clearly promote process improvements in order to help suppliers achieve world class processes and controls.
- Lead cross functional product development teams through influence; provides guidance, direction and support to others (including peers).
- Demonstrate leadership in managing complex, integrated projects
- Communicate effectively through all mediums to a broad range of functional levels.
- Teach, coach, influence, and act as an ambassador and leader in contributing to the development of a continuous improvement culture, process development and APQP
- Ability to work independently and meet project milestones under ambiguous conditions
Bachelor’s in Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing or related degree
APQP, ASQ (CQE, CQM, Lead Assessor) Certifications highly desirable
6+ years of demonstrated performance and technical competencies in engineering, quality and/or operations within a manufacturing environment is required. Working knowledge of core quality tools: SPC, MSA,PPAP, FMEA. Up to 30% travel will be required.
In addition, the candidate will need to demonstrate the following:
APQP and Process development
- Knowledge and experience with Advanced Product Quality Planning principles including process release, Run@ Rate, & PPAP evaluation. Must work extensively in cross-functional teams with Purchasing, Engineering and Supplier to manage supplier new product development activities.
- Specific knowledge on completing and reviewing Process Flows, FMEAs, and Control Plans.
- Knowledge and experience with the principles of Lean Manufacturing.
- Ability to appropriately utilize and apply Lean tools such as value stream mapping, 5S, TPM, change-over reduction, and Ability to identify waste.
- Full understanding of Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) and ability review PPAP submissions to assure completeness and document robustness.
Manufacturing Feasibility & Process Capability and Readiness
- Capable of auditing; ideally certified and approved to lead quality system and process audits.
- Ability to assess process capability including reviewing and interpreting process yield results and capability studies (cpk, ppk) as they relate to key product and process characteristics
- Act as consultant to the quality, manufacturing and engineering organizations to improve quality and manufacturing processes, introduce new products and improve product design.
- Ability to assess overall Supplier Gaging Plan including gaging feasibility through review of Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility studies and recommend and implement proper changes.
- Ability to understand process risks with extended supply chain and sub-tier suppliers.
- Capable to determine process readiness and identify gaps to assure robust control and sustainability.
- Full understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, related to manufacturing processes and gaging techniques.
Root Cause & Advanced Problem Solving
- Ability to effectively define and scope a problem.
- Use of CARs, 8Ds, Six Sigma, Shainin, and decision matrices.
- Knowledge of DoE methodology
At Harley-Davidson, it is not just what degree you have or what you know. You must also exhibit and demonstrate our valued behaviors in everything that you do:
- Be accountable
- Model Integrity
- Value Individuality and Diversity
- Inspire Teamwork
- Encourage Creativity
Direct Reports: No
Travel: Required 10-25%