Our Client, is an industry-leader for inland marine construction, environmental remediation, and harbor services. Now, four generations later, the company remains a family-owned entity with a strong foundation primed for future growth. The company offers employment opportunities where employees continually gain experience working with many different clients while performing work on a multitude of projects.
Headquartered in La Crosse, Wisconsin, the company focuses on a full range of marine construction services. We employ the latest in systems and equipment technologies while stressing the importance of safety and environmental stewardship. This company is intimately familiar with the major inland waterways and has an intense interest in their preservation.
The Estimator performs estimate take off and prepares construction budget for negotiated and hard bid projects, setting forth project specifications, bills of materials, man-hour projections, craft sequence, and quality and method standards to ensure timely and efficient completion of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform estimate take off and prepare construction budget for negotiated and hard bid projects.
- Transmit/receive work product via internet FTP sites.
- Communicate all business, technical and project aspects to sub-contractors, i.e. “terms & conditions.”
- Prepare and present best estimate for overall project cost, i.e., prepare bid packages.
- Assist in providing technical information to supervisors for use in bid proposal estimates for one or more discipline areas;reporting to the Vice President- Estimating and Project Control.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Calculate various statistical data - quantity take-offs, material price lists, labor costs per hour, equipment, etc.
- Research historical data (purchase orders,subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc.) and compile summary reports to develop guidelines and precedence for future estimates.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists,etc.
- Participate in developing project update and bid package estimate documents.
- Support other department personnel as required, may include preparing estimates in other disciplines.
- May review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Assist in the monitoring of conceptual estimates with actual cost data.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Educational and experience requirements include: Four year engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and related experience
- General knowledge of construction equipment and estimating techniques, cost control and material pricing required. Ability to calculate mathematical extensions,read and understand engineering drawings, purchase orders, contracts and cost coding systems is essential.
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with others is important. Minimum supervision provided when estimating items in own discipline; may independently estimate a small to medium-sized project.
- Experience with HCSS-Heavy Bid preferred.
- Enjoy working in an office environment with computers/software and assisting others
- Friendly with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team player with strong work ethic and exceptional customer service skills
- Intermediate ability to troubleshoot logic and techniques
- Must be punctual and reliable
The company offers a leading benefits package continually bench-marked with national firms for competitiveness. These benefits are designed to support employees and their families throughout their career and include; Medical, Dental, Life,Supplemental Life Insurance, Short Term Disability & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), 401(k) Plan, Accident Insurance, Wellness,Personal Time Off.