- WI |
- Jobs |
- Design Engineer- Electrical
Design Engineer- Electrical
Design Engineer- Electrical
Location: Wauwatosa, WI, US
Auto req ID: 4600BR
Title: Design Engineer- Electrical
Job Function: Engineering
State and City: Wisconsin, Wauwatosa
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full-Time
Shift: Shift 1
This Engineering position will be held accountable for delivering the following:
- Develop and implement EE sub-systems & components to a specific motorcycle product family. Ensure that all components of the EE system/component meet or exceed their function within the EE systems architecture.
- Develop and implement the mechanical sub-systems & components to a specific motorcycle product family. Ensure that all mechanical components relevant to the EE system/component exceed their function within the vehicle.
- Evaluate and report performance of electrical system, as well as, individual components subjectively and objectively.
- Resolve technical issues for performance and integration between system components and Harley-Davidson.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to; overseeing the timely completion of tasks using engineering tools such as CAD models and drawings, predictive analysis and conventional engineering calculations with documentation supporting the analysis.
- Manage development and risk through FMEA and DVP&R. Review and approve supplier PPAP and controls plans.
- Lead technical relationship with Electrical component supplier in Execution phase. Support pre-development integration activities for electrical components.
- Develop and maintain program specific requirements documentation both within H-D and between H-D and supplier.
- Verify system performance to H-D standards, approve supplier validation, work with test and verification entities to ensure EE system meets or exceeds targets.
- Authorize new and changed electronic component calibrations. Support and own other components as needed.
Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related technical field. Master’s Degree preferred.
Position requires a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience. Please see supplemental field for additional requirements.
Electrical system & component development & delivery
- Experienced making contributions to the design and delivery of electrical systems architecture with a history of component design application. Skilled at managing complexity through effective system partitioning, multiplex strategies and scalable configuration management schemes.
*Experience developing vehicle wiring harnesses is strongly desired
Mechanical component & system design
- Some experience designing mechanical parts and systems. Demonstrated success in completing designs that meet their quality, cost, and performance objectives.
Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Experienced in designing parts for assembly. Regularly develops designs that are easy and efficient to assemble correctly, difficult to assemble incorrectly, and accommodate the needs of the assembly operator and specific assembly line or station. Track record of results that meet or exceed project objectives for ease of assembly, EJMS score, quality, cost, complexity and project timing.
Design for manufacturing processes
- Some experience designing for many of the manufacturing processes and materials used at H-D (such as HPDC, permanent-mold, investment, shell, sand and other casting processes, forgings, injection molding, sheet metal stamping, forming and deep-drawing, extrusion, machining, plating, coating, painting, etc.). Knowledgeable about the specific needs of each process and how to optimize designs and drawings to minimize cost and manufacturing difficulty.
DFMEA & DVP&R
- Has led/facilitated DFMEA/DVP&R design reviews. Capable of helping others identify and resolve gaps in completeness and accuracy & how to engage appropriate stakeholders for DFMEA input.
Electrical power & signal distribution design strategy
- Working knowledge of electrical power and signal distribution strategies with a history of applying these strategies to component and system designs.
Electrical test procedure development
- Has adapted proven test methods to validate electrical component/system performance and functionality. Demonstrated ability in recommending new tools to expand test capabilities.
Engineering authorizations, changes and PVRs
- Can do simple EAN, ECN, and PVRs with occasional support from experienced / accomplished team members.
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of engineering calculations and regularly applies them to design problems and references calculations in reports and analysis guides. Can quickly recall and demonstrate engineering calculations during design reviews to provide decision ready information. Develops equation-based spreadsheets, programs, or scripts that are considered best practice for the design and analysis community.
- Understands project management tools and principles (in topics such as requirements, scheduling, risk and issues, budget, and metrics) through training and experience. Efficiently executes prescribed project management processes with minimal coaching.
Serial communications design/specification & application
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and diagnose serial communications log data (J1850 or CAN). Knowledge of the tools and capabilities available to verify functionality, configure modules, and diagnose issues.
Direct Reports: No
Travel: Required 0-10%
Nearest Major Market: Milwaukee
Nearest Secondary Market: